My research focuses on the social-cognitive mechanisms of behavior as well as individual differences. I have a strong interest in several areas of social behavior such mindfulness, religion, embodiment, pro-social behavior, and aggression. I also examine topics that pique my curiosity.
I am a co-director of Camp Psych, which is a summer camp in psychology for high school students (www.gettysburg.edu/camppsych).
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Social Cognition
- Landau, M. J., Robinson, M.D., & Meier, B. P. (Eds.). (2014). The power of metaphor: Examining its influence on social life. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Ostafin, B. D., Robinson, M. D., & Meier, B. P. (Eds.). (2015). Handbook of mindfulness and self-regulation. New York: Springer.
- Jordan, C. H., Wang, W., Donatoni, L, and Meier, B. P. (2014). Mindful eating: Trait and state mindfulness predict healthier eating behavior. Personality and Individual Differences, 68, 107-111.
- Konrath S., Meier, B. P., & Bushman, B. J. (2014) Development and validation of the single item narcissism scale (SINS). PLoS ONE 9(8): e103469. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0103469.
- Landau, M. J., Meier, B. P., & Keefer, L. A. (2010). A metaphor-enriched social cognition. Psychological Bulletin, 136, 1045-1067.
- Meier, B. P. (2016). Bah Humbug: Unexpected Christmas cards and the norm of reciprocity. Journal of Social Psychology, 156, 449-454.
- Meier, B. P., Fetterman, A. K., Robinson, M. D., & Lappas, C. M. (2015). The myth of the angry atheist. Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied, 149, 219-238.
- Meier, B. P., & Hinsz, V. B. (2004). A comparison of human aggression committed by groups and individuals: An interindividual-intergroup discontinuity. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 40, 551-559.
- Meier, B. P., & Lappas, C. M. (2016). The Influence of safety, efficacy, and medical condition severity on natural versus synthetic drug preference. Medical Decision Making, 36, 1011-1019.
- Meier, B. P., Noll, S. W., & Molokwu, O. J. (2017). The sweet life: The effect of mindful chocolate consumption on mood. Appetite, 108, 21-27.
- Meier, B. P., & Robinson, M. D. (2004). Why the sunny side is up: Associations between affect and vertical position. Psychological Science, 15, 243-247.
- Meier, B. P., & Wilkowski, B. M. (2013). Reducing the tendency to aggress: Insights from social and personality psychology. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 7, 343-354.
- Wilkowski, B. M., & Meier, B. P. (2010). Bring it on: Angry facial expressions potentiate approach-motivated motor behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 98, 201-210.
- Advanced Social Psychology
- Introduction to Social Psychology
- Introduction to Statistics
Brian P. Meier
Department of Psychology
300 North Washington Street
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325