My research focuses on the social-cognitive mechanisms of behavior. I have a strong interest in several areas of social behavior such as aggression, embodiment, mindfulness, and pro-sociality. I am increasingly fascinated by the social and cognitive factors that drive religious beliefs, perceptions, and behavior.
I am also a co-director of Camp Psych, which is a summer camp in psychology for high school students (www.gettysburg.edu/camppsych).
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Landau, M. J., Robinson, M.D., & Meier, B. P. (Eds.). (2014). The power of metaphor: Examining its influence on social life. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Meier, B. P., Fetterman, A. K., Robinson, M. D., & Lappas, C. M. (in press). The myth of the angry atheist. Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied.
- Meier, B. P., & Wilkowski, B. M. (2013). Reducing the tendency to aggress: Insights from social and personality psychology. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 7, 343-354.
- Wilkowski, B. M., & Meier, B. P. (2010). Bring it on: Angry facial expressions potentiate approach-motivated motor behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 98, 201-210.
- Landau, M. J., Meier, B. P., & Keefer, L. A. (2010). A metaphor-enriched social cognition. Psychological Bulletin, 136, 1045-1067.
- Wilkowski, B. M., Meier, B. P., Robinson, M. D., Carter, M. S., & Feltman, R. (2009). “Hotheaded” is more than an expression: The embodied representation of anger in terms of heat. Emotion, 9, 464-477.
- Hauser, D. J., Carter, M. S., & Meier, B. P. (2009). Mellow Monday and furious Friday: The approach-related link between anger and time representation. Cognition and Emotion, 23, 1166-1180.
- Meier, B. P., Hauser, D. J., Robinson, M. D., Friesen, C. K., & Schjeldahl, K. (2007). What’s “up” with God?: Vertical Space as a representation of the divine. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 93, 699-710.
- Meier, B. P., & Robinson, M. D. (2004). Why the sunny side is up: Associations between affect and vertical position. Psychological Science, 15, 243-247.
- Meier, B. P., & Hinsz, V. B. (2004). A comparison of human aggression committed by groups and individuals: An interindividual-intergroup discontinuity. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 40, 551-559.
- Advanced Social Psychology
- Introduction to Social Psychology
- Introduction to Statistics
Brian P. Meier
Department of Psychology
300 North Washington Street
Gettysburg, PA 17325